"...lead a life worthy of the calling to which you have been called, with all humility and gentleness, with patience, bearing with one another in love, making every effort to maintain the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace. There is one body and one Spirit, just as you were called to the one hope of your calling, one Lord, one faith, one baptism, one God and Father of all, who is above all and through all and in all. But each of us was given grace according to the measure of Christ's gift." Ephesians 4:1-7 (NRSV)
- There is one God, eternally existing in three persons; God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit.
- There is one Lord, Jesus Christ, the Son of God; living a perfect life of ministry and love; dying on the cross for the sins of all people; rising on the third day; ascending to the right hand of God.
- There is one Spirit, the Holy Spirit, the indwelling of God in the hearts of people, the gift of God at salvation, providing comfort, strength, understanding, and direction to all Christians.
- There is one faith, faith that is rooted in Jesus Christ, expressed through a life of active obedience to God’s will.
- There is one hope, a hope of the salvation that is a free gift of God through Jesus Christ; a hope that inspires perseverance in this life as we look forward to the life to come.
- There is one baptism, demonstrating a complete surrender to God and trust in the perfect sacrifice of Jesus on the cross, uniting us with Christ in his death, burial, and resurrection.
- There is one body, the body of Christ, the Church, empowered by the Holy Spirit to embody the character and mission of God. Because of our response to God’s salvation, he adds people to his church, a work of God.